Id like to introduce you to the newest addition to our family, Caity Cat…
She’s a pretty little cat who loves to hang out in the garden… hiding amongst the flowers.
Caity Cat Tutorial
To make Caity Cat you will need:
A small amount of coloured yarn and a corresponding hook. Caity was made using DK (8ply) yarn and a 3.5mm hook. The flowers are made using a 3mm hook. Two buttons for eyes.
1. Begin by making the base of the cat. Chain 15, turn and single crochet (sc) into the second chain from the hook and in every stitch across. Chain 1 and turn, sc in every stitch across- repeat until you have a rectangle 8 rows wide.
2. You will now be working in rounds. At the end of the seventh row continue around your rectangle working along the short end putting an sc into each stitch, then sc in each stitch along the opposite side and along the last short end.
3. Continue working in rounds – do not join at the end of each row just work continuously around your retangle. Work four rounds in red, change colour and work four rows in pink. Change colour and work 1 row in blue. On the next row sc 2 together once at each end of your cat (reducing the number of stitches in the round by 2). Exactly where you do this isn’t hugely important, but try for the middle of each side. Continue round 3 and 4 in blue sc in each stitch around.
4. Fasten off dark blue and change to light blue. Round 1 sc in each stitch around. Round 2 decrease two times (once at each end: sc 2 together). Round 3 and 4 sc in each stitch around.
5. Repeat this same pattern for the two green bands (decrease twice -once on either end – of round two). Join yellow and sc around 4 times – do not decrease. Fasten off, leaving a long end.
6. Next make two ears. Using yellow yarn chain 4, join with a ss to form a ring, use a split ring marker- do not join again. Sc two times in each stitch around (8), Sc 2 in the first stitch 1 sc in the next stitch, repeat around (12). Sc in each stitch around 3 more times. Fasten off leaving a long end to sew ear on with. Repeat to make another ear.
7. Make a tail- sorry no photo for this, but it’s pretty easy. Chain 50, turn and sc in second chain from hook and in each stitch across. Repeat so you have a long tail four rows wide, the tail will naturally curl up.
8. Finishing. Stuff cat body – I find the best thing for stuffing crochet toys is cotton wool balls. Sew closed the top opening. Attach ears and tail.
Eyes: Sc 5 times and join to form a ring. Round 1, Sc 2 times in each stitch around. Round 2, Sc 2 times in first stitch, one sc in next stitch, repeat around. Fasten off, repeat to make another eye. Sew button into centre of eye and attach to cat. Embroider nose and mouth in a cat like fashion.
Because Caity loves flowers she is decorated with crochet flowers- and there is even one on her tail!!!
Small crochet flowers: Chain 4 and join to form a ring. Half double crochet (hdc) 10 times into the ring, and join with a ss. Hdc 3 times in the next stitch, ss into the next stitch, repeat around forming 5 petals. Make three flowers in different colours and sew onto cat, the flower stems are simply chains, with leaves embroidered as I sewed the chain to the cat.
Large crochet flower (for the end of Caity’s tail): Chain 4 and join to form a ring. Half double crochet (hdc) 10 times into the ring, and join with a ss. Hdc 5 times in the next stitch, ss into the next stitch, repeat around forming 5 petals. Sew onto the end of tail.
Thats it all done!
And the back view…
Caity loves to get outside…
…with her special friend Maia.
Last I saw they were playing a game of hide and seek in the flowers, with Caity’s cousins Kitty Cat and Carrow the Sparrow…
Hope you are having a fun weekend!
Love Janette xxx