It’s about time I got around to showing you the crochet cardigan I made for Maia, which I finished in December, but what with Christmas and holidaying at the beach and general post holiday laziness I have been a bit slow getting up here on the blog.It’s adapted from a free lionbrand pattern which was a really nice pattern and a great starting point.
To modify the pattern I used an 8ply cotton, the largest pattern size (the original pattern was for Worsted/10ply yarn) and a 4mm hook. I wanted something longer and more classic than the cropped cardi, so I made the body significantly longer than the pattern stated (just kept repeating the body pattern until it looked about the right length). Because the sizing was a little out I had to reduce the yoke a little to get the fit right for my 7/8 year old (it was too big around the arms for her).The beauty of a simple pattern like this is that you can adapt it to suit your needs and the yarn you have available. I guess the only word of advice I’d offer is that if you are going to deviate from a pattern (or use a different yarn and hook than is recommended), is that you have the person you are going to be making the garment for close by so you can try it on and check the fit frequently as you are crocheting.
Another reason this took so long to show you the finished piece is because Maia’s tolerance for my photography ‘habit’ is significantly lower than it used to be. So after these few snaps, this… …marked the end of the photo shoot!
Have a wonderful week everyone 🙂