I was inspired this weekend to design a new belt, something a bit more lacy than the last one, a belt that would really dress up an outfit.
These belts are made with a fan stitch. This is a very easy stitch to master, its simply 3 double crochet, chain 1, 3 double crochet all in the same stitch… there is also a v stitch in the pattern this is simply a half double crochet, chain 1, and another half double crochet all in the same stitch.
These make up very quickly, if you can double crochet and half double crochet you can do this!
Fancy Fan Stitch Crochet Belt Tutorial
You will need:
Yarn and a corresponding hook.
The pink belt is in DK (8 ply) acrylic and was made with a 4mm hook, the green one was made with a 4ply cotton, and a 3mm hook.
D rings, or two bangles (more about that below).
Fan stitch- 3 double crochet, chain 1, 3 crochet all in the same stitch.
V stitch – 1 half double crochet, chain 1, 1 half double crochet all in the same stitch.
Foundation chain: multiple of 10 chains + 2. (For the pink belt (8ply), I chained 160, for the green belt (4ply) I chained 200).
1. 1sc into the second chain from the hook. 1sc in next stitch. *Skip 3 stitches, Fan in next stitch, skip 3 stitches, 1sc in next stitch*. Repeat to end, 1sc in last chain. Turn.
2. Chain 2, hdc into first stitch, *chain 3, 1sc into ch 1 space of next fan, chain 3, V stitch into next space* repeat between * and * to end. 2 hdc into last stitch. Turn.
3. Chain 3, 3dc into first stitch. *1sc into chain 3 space, 1 chain, 1 sc into next 3 chain space, Fan into chain 1 of centre of next V stitch*. Repeat between * and * to end, 3 Dc and 1 sc into last stitch.
4. Turn your belt so you are now working along the bottom of the foundation chain (this is the opposite side of where you were working for the last 3 rows). 3Dc in first stitch, V stitch in next stitch. *Fan into centre of the bottom of next fan, V stitch into centre of bottom of next V stitch*, repeat till end. 3dc in last stitch. Turn.
5. Chain 2, hdc in next stitch, V stitch in 1 chain space of next V stitch, *Chain 3, Sc in 1 chain space in top of next Fan stitch, chain 3, V stitch in 1 chain space of next V stitch*. Repeat between * and * till end. Skip 2 Dc and 2 hdc in last stitch. Turn.
6. Chain 3, Dc in 1 chain space of next V stitch. *Sc in chain 3 space, chain 1, sc in next chain 3 space, Fan stitch in chain 1 space of next V stitch*.
You need to crochet all the way around the bangle, I used slip stitch- its very easy, you simple crochet from one side to the other. There is a great tutorial here (on you tube).
Right now Im off to get started on my one a day in this Ravelry crochet along… yes Im a little behind!
Have a great week, Janette xox